On a wonderful late fall day in October 2011, Jeremy and Chelsea were married at the beautiful Chapel of the Centurion within the walls of the historic old fortress at Fort Monroe. The Chapel is the oldest continually used wooden military structure for religious services in the United States. It was decommissioned by the Army on May 22, 2011, as part of the transition of Fort Monroe from Army to civilian control, the last Army led religious service occurred on August 28 2011. We here at B. Payden Photography were honored to shoot the first wedding at the Chapel, since the transition from the Army, for Jeremy and Chelsea. The Chapel is named for Cornelius the Centurion, who it is thought, was the first Gentile to convert to Christianity. It was designed by Richard Upjohn with construction beginning in 1856 and its consecration on May 3, 1858.
Following the beautiful ceremony and the formal portraits afterwards, on the grounds of this scenic historic fortress, the reception was held at the Chamberlin Hotel, also on the grounds of Fort Monroe. Jeremy and Chelsea were a beautiful couple and all of us here at B. Payden Photography were honored to share in their special day and to record the memories from their day that are sure to be cherished heirlooms for generations to come.